NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, January 7, 2018

Keep Her Safe by Richard Parker

The premise -- what will a mother do to protect her child? In this particular novel, the mother is asked to kill another mother so that her own child will live. The murder is ordered by a man known as The Babysitter. His motives are unclear, but he targets single mothers. He kidnaps their babies and then sends them to kill. So, murder by proxy.

Unfortunately, the execution of the plot left me completely unable to suspend my disbelief at the events that transpired. The two main characters -- Maggie and Holly -- endured a night together that left me scoffing in amazement. Amazement that I actually continued to read to the end. The frantic activities that engaged Maggie and Holly bordered on ridiculous as they attempt to outsmart The Babysitter and get Holly's daughter back. Their decisions and actions made no sense. Their near death experiences and escapes from the perils they endured did not make for exciting or tense suspense. It was all just TOO MUCH. I didn't like either of the women, I didn't feel empathy for their plight, and I just wanted to get to the end so it would all be over and I could say I finished it.

I've read another book by this author, HIDE AND SEEK, and it was much better written than this one. I simply can't recommend it unless you can force yourself to believe that there is any way this sort of thing could happen as described. I'm sorry to say I can't find anything nice to say so I'll stop now.

I do want to thank NetGalley and Bookouture for giving me access to the e-book ARC to read and review.

No comments:

Post a Comment