NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, January 5, 2018

The Last Thing She Ever Did by Gregg Olsen

"They can pinpoint the split second when something they did changed everything in their world. Mistakes are dominoes, falling on one another in a mechanical, unstoppable progression."

The first mistake that Liz made could have been an accident. The second was a crime.

This was a fast-paced psychological thriller that kept me glued to the pages in suspenseful anxiety. On one hand, I detested nearly all of the characters in the book -- especially Liz -- and on the other, I was hopeful that there would somehow be justice and a satisfactory conclusion. Not sure I got my wish, actually, but NO SPOILERS -- I did enjoy the novel and loved reading about Bend, Oregon’s Deschutes River and could imagine myself there on the banks watching the whole story go down from the porch.

This well-written drama has great description and detail about the locale and the interactions between the characters is believable. I'm not a big fan of internal angst and was grateful it was somewhat limited as it annoys me quickly especially when repetitive. I did like the two Bend police detectives, Esther Nguyen in particular, and her younger male partner. In all, a compelling tale that reminds us that everything can change, lives can be destroyed, in a heartbeat.

Thank you to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for the e-book ARC to read and review. I'm off to hunt for another title written by this prolific author!

No comments:

Post a Comment