NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, October 21, 2018

Perfect Death (#3 Callanach and Turner) by Helen Fields

"There were different types of pain...the pain of loss...shocked pain...the slow dull ache of reality...followed by the mewling baby, self-pity."

There's someone in Edinburgh who enjoys sharing grief that others experience. An evil serial killer is wanting to get up close and personal with those who've experienced the death of a loved one. This sociopath wants to offer comfort -- so much so that maybe that monster is responsible for the deaths in the first place?

DI Luc Callanach and the newly promoted DCI Ava Turner are busy in the MIT. They've got a couple of poisoning deaths on one hand and a possible corruption case on the other. The teams divide to conquer and come quite close to blowing it all up as they face off some very dangerous people. These investigations are going to require tons of time and their best efforts as leads are met with dead ends and danger is lurking on every call-out. Callanach and Turner face some threats to their tenuous and fragile personal relationship as well. But Turner is Callanach's superior and she won't let him forget it. Both struggle with their own demons as they work to bring some justice in these two, big unrelated cases.

I love this series. So much so that I had to buy this one so that I could read it before downloading and reviewing the next installment, PERFECT SILENCE. I've read all 3 so far, in order, and would urge you to do the same so that you get the full picture of the two main characters. Both are quite unique and are becoming more real with each book. I really enjoy the camaraderie between them and enjoy their friendship and mutual respect. I almost feel as if I know them and I can't wait to see what happens next. Though the story is full of action, police procedural detail, and suspense, I feel so tense worrying about how things are going to play up that it creates a lot of tension. Instead of speeding up to get to what I hope is a successful conclusion, I slow down because I'm too worried that some member of the team will be hurt or lost and I don't want to face that. Anyway, if you're looking for great crime thrillers, this series has it all and I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment