NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, October 4, 2018

The Lies We Told by Camilla Way

Oh my, what a wild ride. I read this compelling psychological drama over a couple of hours because I simply could not put it down -- I HAD to know how this sordid tale turned out. I was so tense while reading as the author stoked my unease with subtle hints about where it was all going but I didn't quite have it all figured out correctly though a couple of my guesses proved spot on. I'm glad that I took the advice of the other reviewers who warned not to read anything about the book beyond the synopsis before diving right in. NO SPOILERS so I won't even give the main themes away.

This is definitely a tale of secrets, lies, betrayal and horrible mistakes. I'm not sure that I really liked any of the characters but perhaps felt that Clara was at least somewhat decent as a person. She was so dedicated in trying to find her missing boyfriend even when she discovers some disturbing information.

The story is told via two points of view with one narrator the voice of Beth starting from 1986 and the other voice is that of Clara in present day. Even though it seems that these are separate stories, you can be sure that it's all going to come together and in a very explosive manner. The whole of it left me glad that I don't know those people! I guess there are some things that are really unforgivable. And choices you can't put right.

Thank you to NetGalley and Berkley Publishing (an imprint of Penguin Random House) for this e-book ARC to read and review. I definitely enjoyed the couple of hours spent with this novel. I've also read the author's previous book, WATCHING EDIE, and can't way to see what Camilla Way does next!

This is a standalone and is not part of any series. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment