NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, November 1, 2018

Missing Lies by Chris Collett's (#7 DI Tom Mariner)

Acting DCI Tom Mariner of the West Midlands Police has his hands full. Missing women, two of his team members away from the job, a new romantic relationship that doesn't seem to be going anywhere, and an autistic charge at home. Whew -- he's definitely busy in this book, #7 in a long-running detective series.

Grace Clifton, 18-years-old, was on her way to meet friends after leaving her job at Symphony hall when she vanished. Mariner receives a package of her clothing in the mail so the police know this indicates probable foul play. Then another woman disappears and her clothing is sent to the station as well. What's interesting is that the clothes have been washed and pressed. Mariner, Jesson and Glover are stumped. The hunt is on to figure out who took these women and why. As the investigation continues, more deaths occur as first one suspect and then another is eliminated. Keeping all the characters and their relationships straight is a bit difficult as the case expands and the tedious process of seeking information and clues helps them narrow their focus. NO SPOILERS.

What a great police procedural! I can't believe I haven't read one of Collett's books before as I love crime thrillers with good detail and complicated cases. Although I have no clue about the development of Tom Mariner as a character from the first book to the present, I felt this worked OK as a standalone. That said, I fully intend to go find the others in the series. I liked the writing style, the perspectives from different points of view, the action and the relentless hunt for the perpetrator. I prefer little to no romance in books, so this lack within served me well. I can't wait to get to know the team members better. Basically a straight-forward detective mystery.

Thank you to NetGalley and Joffe Books for this e-book ARC to read and review. I understand that it was previously published by Severn House in 2014 as DEAD OF NIGHT.

This is #7 in series. Can be read as a standalone.

No comments:

Post a Comment