NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Secrets Between Us by Valerie Keogh

Identical twins. They've been apart for 15 years with one of them, Tia, living in a home for the Differently Abeled and the other, Ellie, an executive who is married to Will living a lovely life. All is well and, in fact, Ellie's been sending letters to Tia all those years, when suddenly she and Will get the bad news that St. Germaine's school is closing and Tia has to be relocated. Unable to find a placement for Tia, Ellie and Will reluctantly agree to have her move into their house until another residential care facility can be found. An obvious mistake and that's when the real trouble begins. NO SPOILERS but there's a lot more between Ellie and Will that plays into it all.

This is definitely a domestic drama that requires a lot of suspension of disbelief and also the willingness to continue reading when you've already dissected the whole plot at the first whiff of the words, "Tia is moving in with us." I read on, hoping that I was mistakenly jumping to predictable conclusions, but alas, it was exactly as I expected and I was quite disappointed though I did finish. I didn't like any of the characters and their decisions and actions were completely the opposite of any way I would have behaved. I think the writing style was fine, it was just the plot that missed the mark for me. I should have believed some of the reviews but I always like to form my own opinions.
I'd still take a chance on another book written by this author but hope for more originality next time.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the opportunity to read and review this ARC. I'm sorry it wasn't my cup of tea.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

No comments:

Post a Comment