NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Face Off (Evelyn Talbot #3) by Brenda Novak

In this third thrilling installment of the Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, she comes face to face with the man who terrorized her over 20 years ago. He's been hiding in plain sight and he's been planning to take his ultimate prize.

I ordinarily don't care all that much for damsel in distress stories and definitely Evelyn has some serious problems considering that Jasper Moore (now Andy Smith) hasn't ever stopped coming for her. But she has her boyfriend, Sergeant Benjamin Murphy, AKA Amarok, to protect her. Since I didn't get a chance to read books #1 and #2 in the series, I was worried that I might have missed something important, but the reader gets plenty of historical background so, in a way, I'm glad I didn't have to go through two other books focused on Jasper Moore. How Evelyn manages to miss being kidnapped and murdered is a surprise given how devious and resourceful Jasper is. But, meanwhile, there are many other heinous murders committed and Amarok is kept quite busy in his duties as the only law enforcement presence in Hilltop. Evelyn's work at the psychiatric facility, Hanover House, is coming along and she's as involved as ever in trying to research psychopaths. There's enough blood and guts for any crime fiction reader and definitely more than enough romance.

Although Evelyn seems quite weak to me at times, it's obvious she's meant to seem the opposite. She surely needs some therapy herself, but mostly cowers at home or at work since she knows Jasper is still at large. Apparently she and Amarok have worked through Evelyn's intimacy issues (thank heavens I didn't have to read all that) and are in love. Will it last? Regardless, I do really like the pace and action in the story and really wonder what's in store in book #4 - which I intend to read next. This is definitely a book that is easy to read in a single sitting and I enjoyed it.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the e-book ARC to read and review.

This is the third book in the Evelyn Talbot Chronicles and I was not able to get copies of #1 or #2 and I didn't feel that I missed too much.
Genre - crime thriller, romance

No comments:

Post a Comment