NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, August 2, 2019

One Little Secret by Cate Holahan

This is a tautly constructed domestic drama/psychological thriller that will keep you glued to the pages and begs to be read in a single sitting.

What it's about: Three couples, neighbors, rent a beach house in the Hamptons for some adult fun while their children are away at camp. As they settle in, enjoy some dinner and have several drinks, tensions escalate between them and alcohol loosens their inhibitions. Secrets are revealed and tempers flare. When one of them is found dead on the beach the next day, it is clear that one is a murderer. Detective Sargeant Gabriella Watkins of the East Hampton Police Department has a monumental task -- to sift through the lies, possible motives, and the scant evidence to find the truth. Compounded by accusations of spousal abuse and infidelity, it's clear that each had a possible reason to commit the crime. NO SPOILERS.

Why you should read it: I am a sucker for a narrative that has multiple points of view and a shifting timeline. I really enjoyed the writing and the different perspectives. As I tried to analyze the relationships, I found that I had to make a chart just to keep track of the characters. Since it's known that one of the remaining 5 at the beach house is the killer, I tried to guess which one as revelations were dangled in dabs that finally were connected into the big picture. The story reminded me of BIG LITTLE LIES because of the small suspect pool and all the undercurrents that existed in the group. I must admit that I didn't really like any of the characters at the beach house but I could definitely understand some of their reactions to their situations. I can definitely see this as a television miniseries and urge any of you who enjoy this type of book to grab it.

Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for this e-book ARC to read and review.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.
Genre - domestic drama, mystery, psychological thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment