NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, August 25, 2019

The Sixth Wicked Child (#3 in the 4MK trilogy) by J. D. Barker

I've had to take a few moments to restore my normal respiratory rate after finishing this amazing thriller. I've done absolutely nothing all day but race through the pages, each chapter ending in such a way as to taunt me with the potential for upcoming revelations and new information. Let me say that this was a most fitting conclusion to one of the best trilogies I can remember. If it's true that this is going to be a film or a miniseries, I promise I'll be one of the first in line for a ticket!

There is no way I can possibly give a better synopsis than the one described on this page without giving away spoilers or trying to pretend that I can reduce the totality of this incredible story down to a few descriptive paragraphs. There are so many characters and so much going on within the narrative that, not only do you need to have read the other two books prior to starting this one, you also practically need a flowchart or a whiteboard next to you! The plotting was truly masterful and this is a very complicated tale. Most of the time, I had no clue what I believed and for once, I had no idea how this was all going to come out in the end. Usually I have no problem finding the red herrings and anticipating the twists, but, hey - -J.D. Barker, you caught me napping!

The characters described within this trilogy are so well-drawn that they seem real. The words that come out of their mouths make you first believe one thing, and then the doubts creep in. Whose lines can you trust? What's real and what is not. The horrendous experiences of the foster children and the huge net of law enforcement trying to figure out if Detective Sam Porter is on the level. And is Anson Bishop telling the truth? What about that diary? The different viewpoints and the flip back and forth in time add to the suspense and tension as new details come to light. There are so many names to try to remember and track, but in the hands of the author, it all comes together. This is a serial killer novel that you won't soon forget. The ending blew me away.

So, if you want to read a series that begs to be read back to back, then lock your doors, turn off your phone and prepare for a wild ride on the very dark side. I had to wait between each book and I think I would have enjoyed this even more had I read them one after the other. Lucky folks out there who can do just that! Highly recommended. I think I'm going to give this trilogy a 4.5 star rating.

Thank you to NetGalley and Hampton Creek Press for the e-book ARC to read and. Review.

This is the 3rd and final book in the 4MK trilogy and these must be read in order. Best if you can read them back to back!
Genre - serial killer thriller chiller

No comments:

Post a Comment