NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Monday, August 5, 2019

Fear in the Lakes (DC Beth Young #3) by Graham Smith

This is a police procedural featuring DC Beth Young of the FMIT out of Cumbria.

What it's about: A man, James Sinclair, has been found, barely alive, after surviving a horrendous attack that has resulting in all the bones of his lower legs and arms being systematically broken. The team first runs into a problem when James is found to have no past, no history. Who is he and why would someone do this to him? Even as the baffled team at FMIT tries to trace a clever killer, a pair of local hoodlums is killed with intricate carvings left on their heads. Did "the Sculptor" do that too, and how are they related to the James Sinclair case? Even as they race to identify future possible victims, the codes in email, the lack of evidence, and the frustration is about to do them all in. Will this serial killer escape? NO SPOILERS

Do you want to read? Well, first things first. I don't like the main character, Beth Young. Everything about her irritates me. Her "sideways thinking brain" is a joke and her personality is as flat as a pancake. There's nothing about her that makes me relate and her stupid obsession with finding the man who wielded the broken bottle to cause her scar has gotten really old here in book #3. At least she's gotten some information and answers in this outing, but I'm over it. Apparently, however, she's the DI Zoe Dowd's pet and she gets special treatment because she's oh so smart. There is also way too much narrative fluff that does nothing to move the plot forward so this story could have definitely been shortened. I found myself putting the book down many times and delayed picking it back up again and that's never a good sign for me. So, slow read. There's little to be said about the other members of the team as they are virtually only names on a page in this particular installment. What did I like? Well I do like police procedural novels where clues are found and suspects are detained and questioned. Unfortunately, since we heard the "voice" of the killer, we had a little motive there. I like the setting, but endless descriptions of snow don't do anything for me. All I can say is that this isn't my favorite. The whole plot really wasn't that interesting to be honest. And of course the worst part was when Beth ends up in the killer's clutches. I mean, really????

Anyway, I'm sorry this didn't do it for me. I did finish it and I'm not saying it's a bad book, and I figure anyone who's started the series will probably pick it up anyway. Overall, just disappointed in the thin story and in Beth as a character. I need a lot more to find a story gripping or thrilling.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read and review. Will I be interested in reading #4? Well, it depends.

This is the third in a series and the books should be read in order.
Genre -- police procedural

No comments:

Post a Comment