NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Perfect Stranger by Jake Cross

Chris Redfern met Eve Levine 18 years ago and had a fling. Little did he know that he'd left her pregnant. Now, that daughter, Katie, has shown up and wants to get to know him, his family, and to be a part of his life. Although Chris, his wife, Rose, and their own 18-year-old daughter, Julia, are waiting on paternity/DNA tests to confirm the relationship, they invite Katie to stay with them. That turns out to be a very bad decision.

I finished this only because I promised, by requesting, that I would read and write a review. I found it very difficult to get through as it was tedious, overly long, repetitive, and not very exciting despite the author's attempts to try some surprises and twists. Since I didn't like any of the characters, I didn't even really care how it all turned out but finish it, I did. I didn't find any of the plot believable because of the behavior and reactions of the characters. They didn't question anything or do their own covert investigation into this person who has just appeared into their lives. Call me a skeptic, but, honestly, I sure would have done a deep background check no matter the cost before I allowed someone to move into my home. But, I'm from Missouri, USA, where the motto is, "SHOW ME." Since I couldn't buy into the story line, I tried to follow the narrative and get something from it, but, sadly, I couldn't get past some of the ridiculous -- for example, Katie claiming that her paresthesias were caused by her swallowing a rubber ball that "went into her body and lived inside her, still bouncing." I mean really? Chris is supposed to be a scientist, a microbiologist, and he says nothing. Anyway, I don't know what more to say. I didn't find this book my cup of tea.

I'm still grateful to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read and review.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.
Genre -- domestic drama

No comments:

Post a Comment