NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, December 11, 2020

Death at the Dance (Lady Eleanor Swift #2) by Verity Bright

I needed a bit of a break from grisly murder and emotional reads, so I was happy to return to this second in a series featuring Lady Eleanor Swift set in 1920s England. I adore this historical period and love the details of life during that time. This cozy mystery was exactly the tonic I needed.

In this installment, Lady Swift is attending a masked ball at the manor owned by the parents of her new love interest, Lance Langham. While there, she ends up stumbling upon Lance bending over a recently murdered guest, holding a heavy silver candlestick, and some very valuable family jewels missing from the safe. As (bad) luck would have it, the police find them immediately and arrest Lance on the spot for murder and burglary. Eleanor, along with her trusty butler and friend, Clifford, must clear his name. NO SPOILERS.

The thing is, some of this is outright funny. The interaction and friendship between Eleanor and Clifford makes me laugh because she is no typical English Lady and he is no normal manservant. I like the characters and the story moved along very quickly with lots of action and quite a few suspects. I look forward to the next in the series, but unfortunately I don't have a copy of #3, so I will be skipping along to the fourth straightaway. Enjoy!

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read, review, and recommend.

This is the second in a series that should be read in order.

Genre - cozy historical mystery, amateur sleuth, 1920s

No comments:

Post a Comment