NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Saturday, December 26, 2020

The Visitors by Miranda Rijks

Hannah and her husband, Daniel Pieters, live in a lovely home in the midst of a rural farm property on the outskirts of London. He's a cardiothoracic surgeon and works long hours in town, so Hannah and their two children are fairly isolated. Hannah decides to renovate a dilapidated barn and turn it into a holiday rental both as a project and to make a little extra money. She finally has everything redecorated and has opened to visitors. Unfortunately, the visitors -- Mike, Nadia, and their daughter Kayleigh, are anything but good customers. Things go from bad to worse as they wreak havoc on both the property and on Hannah's family. NO SPOILERS.

This was a difficult read for me and I almost DNF a couple of times. I can't tolerate characters who have no backbone and who make such horrible decisions that allow bad situations to become even worse. I did not like ANY of the characters in this novel nor could I relate to any of the various situations where Hannah is meant to be courageous and stand up for herself but doesn't. Although the ending and resolution were a bit of a surprise (came out of nowhere), I wasn't gripped by curiosity nor did I find much of it believable. Sorry, this was just not my cup of tea.

Thank you to NetGalley and Inkubator Books for this e-book ARC to read and review. 

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - psychological drama, mystery

No comments:

Post a Comment