NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Promises in the Dark (Detectives Kane and Alton #10) by D.K. Hood

 This 10th installment in the crime thriller series featuring Sheriff Jenna Alton and Deputy Dave Kane has them chasing down a murderous pyro psychopath.

Oh my goodness, the Black Rock Falls area of Montana has yet another serial killer on a rampage. To be honest, it is starting to strain credulity that this many crazies find that area and commit so many awful crimes. In this case, the crimes involve bombs and fire -- along with kidnapping and a host of other deviant behaviors. I think the tipping point for me was the connection between what was happening in Black Rock Falls to what happened in DC years ago to Kane and his wife, Annie. NO SPOILERS.

Despite having read this series from the start, I have never really liked Jenna and finally admit that I likely never will. I just find her too unbelievable in her role; her attitude and behavior irritates me. Although there was a lot of good forensic detail and long descriptions of everything involved in the murder and arson, I had guessed most everything about the outcome and the perpetrator quite early. I think the motivation explaining all these crimes was a bit of a stretch, but I can see by other reviews that no one else has any issues with it.

So why do I keep reading the series despite my issues? I like to finish what I start and I figure this can't go on much longer but who knows. Surely it's about time for a consummation of the Kane and Alton relationship? We will have to wait and see as book #11 should be out soon.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read and review. 

This is the 10th book in a series that should be read, in order, from the beginning.

Genre - crime thriller, USA, arson, murder

No comments:

Post a Comment