NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, December 6, 2020

The Wicked Hour (Detective Natalie Lockhart #2) by Alice Blanchard

 This afternoon I went back to Burning Lake, New York, the "self-proclaimed epicenter for magic and witchcraft." This second crime thriller featuring Detective Natalie Lockhart was every bit as compelling as the first and I definitely suggest you read them in order to fully understand the backstory of everything that Natalie has gone through to this point. I read this over several hours, unable to put it down, as the excellent writing drew me in and the story line kept me guessing.

A body has been found in a dumpster the morning after Burning Lake's big Halloween bash. It's a young woman, a promising violinist, who was there for the Monster Mash -- a contest for the "spookiest Halloween musical act." As Natalie heads up the investigation, she finds, again, that even the townspeople she's known all her life are not above suspicion. As she chases leads and deals with her grief, Natalie begins to question other events that have happened in her town. NO SPOILERS.

I enjoyed this book and really like the details and descriptions the author relates about Burning Lake and its inhabitants. Natalie is a great character and fully believable as she navigates her personal losses while trying to become a better detective. Again, there are many red herrings so the big reveal is a bit of a surprise and I was pleased that the identity of the killer wasn't obvious. I was definitely glad that I was able to read the first two installments back-to-back but bummed now because I will have a long wait for the next one in the series!

Thank you to NetGalley and Minotaur Books/St. Martin's Press for this e-book ARC to read, review, and recommend.

This is the second book and I suggest they be read in order.

Genre - police procedural, crime thriller, murder, witchcraft

No comments:

Post a Comment