NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, June 11, 2021

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

 Actress Catherine Steadman writes about the world she knows in this mystery drama about a British woman, Mia Eliot, who travels from the UK to see if she can make it big in LA.

Mia is definitely out of her element when she arrives in LA to begin a series of auditions. The city, the weather, the car, the apartment, and the people are definitely nothing like her life back in London. When she meets Emily at a casting call, she's surprised and pleased that they connect so easily. So, when Emily goes missing after leaving her bank card and phone with Mia while she goes in for her audition, it's natural that Mia is concerned. And, then she goes looking.

All this seemed just so far fetched in so many ways. I never identified with Mia nor would I ever make any of the decisions she did. The insider information about the movie industry was interesting, but it wasn't compelling enough to carry the crazy story line to a point where I could have my buy in. Most of the time, I was just shaking my head as Mia made one dubious move after another. If you're a person who likes to figure out where a plot is going, you might have a little trouble with this one. I wish I could say that the book was redeemed by the ending, but, again, it just didn't work for me.

Thank you to NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine for this e-book ARC to read and review. I did read and enjoyed one of her previous books, so I may try another in the future.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - mystery, drama, Hollywood

No comments:

Post a Comment