NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Wednesday, June 9, 2021

The Pilot's Daughter by Audrey J. Cole

This is a mystery thriller with a huge dose of romance and several unlikely outcomes.

Cora, a widow with young children, is seated in first class on a plane bound for Honolulu when the aircraft is hijacked. As events spiral out of control, both pilots are killed and Cora, a pilot's daughter, must work with Seattle Homicide Detective Kyle Adams to save everyone on board. Cora's skills as a nurse are much in demand until a larger need ensues: she's going to have to land the plane.

I love a good disaster scenario as long as everything is realistic, and this strained my credulity at various times. I'd also recently read another book in a similar vein, and have to ask -- how likely is it that people who work for the airlines would actually aid and abet terrorists or hijackers -- no matter what the threat? I don't know, but it's pretty scary to contemplate. Many of the details of the "talk through" emergency landing protocol seemed accurate, but I know nothing about flying an airplane. The narrative moved fast and the only jarring notes where when another character in the book took the lead voice. I thought that both Cora and Kyle were not well-developed characters and I never really connected with either. Their instant romance totally put me off as well. Nevertheless, this allowed me to pass a couple of entertaining hours but the conclusion was a bit lame.

Thank you to NetGalley and BooksGoSocial for this e-book ARC to read and review.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - mystery, thriller, romance

No comments:

Post a Comment