NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, June 3, 2021

The Lake House by Laura Wolfe

Although the synopsis really doesn't really give you a good idea of the story, it becomes obvious right away what this one is all about. Five college friends decide to take a girls' trip to reconnect since they haven't seen each other for some time due to their busy lives. They end up at a ramshackle cabin close to a lake -- there's no mobile or internet service and only one very creepy dude close by. Things don't look good for the ladies. Instead of backing out and heading to a different resort for their reunion, they decide to stay. That's when things start going wrong.

I struggled to finish this one. For one thing, I totally disliked all the women. The second issue was that it was totally predictable and I never found that "gripping psychological thriller" that the blurb promised. Their interaction was banal and lame and, once things started going from bad to worse, their actions bordered on simply ridiculous. I always hate it when I have to write a review of a book that didn't work for me, so I'm just leaving this here. My advice: skip it.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the e-book ARC to read and review.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - girls' weekend at the lake goes wrong, murder, resentment, drama, revenge

No comments:

Post a Comment