NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Friday, June 7, 2024

Everyone is Watching by Heather Gudenkauf

 What would you do for money?

If you are a reality show fan, you will probably like this one.


Five contestants are chosen to appear on a game show called One Lucky Winner. The person who wins will take home 10 million dollars. All of them are assigned a game name - The Best Friend (Maire), The Confidant (Camille), The Senator (himself), The Boyfriend (Samuel), and the Executive (Ned) - want desperately to win the money. Things are not exactly as advertised, however, once they all gather at the secluded winery estate in Northern California. As the rules are explained and the game begins, live streamed all over the world, the stakes become clear. Long held secrets are revealed and each of the players wonders if they will make it out alive. 


I wish I had liked this more. It was difficult because the characters were so hideous that I couldn't find a single one to root for. Maire especially got on my last nerve with all her whining. I did not find any of the scenarios believable and given what the reader finds out about each of them, none should win anything. I wanted all their bad deeds to come to light! Yeah, I'm probably an outlier, and I don't watch reality television, so this plot and the story was not the one for me. The narrative has a then and now format as we learn some of the backstories of the contestants. Regardless, the whole concept of that show and how it was run strained credulity, and the ending was the biggest disappointment of all. Not because of what happened to the game show host, Fern, but because of something she did. No Spoilers.


I listened to the audiobook while also following along in the e-book ARC provided by the publisher. I didn't care for the voice of the narrator and the way different characters sounded. This production would really have benefitted from a larger cast to speak the various roles.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - reality shows, locked room thriller, secrets and lies

No comments:

Post a Comment