NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Monday, June 3, 2024

The Hospital by Leslie Wolfe

 The blurb was appealing but this thriller was ultimately disappointing.


A woman wakes up paralyzed, blind, and without most of her memories. She believes she is in the hospital because someone tried to kill her. Emma can’t remember who hit her over the head and it seems that her traumatic brain injury is also making her completely helpless. She suffers severe anxiety over her situation as a parade of nurses and her doctor care for her. 


I really struggled with this one. I like medical thrillers, but other than some brief use of terms it was not actually that type of book. The situation Emma was in seemed so implausible and the tired trope of amnesia just ruined my attempts to seek any bit of realism. I did not care for any of the stereotypical characters in the narrative and the pacing was slow and uneven. I was not at all surprised by the climax or conclusion and found it quite predictable. I’ve read other books by this author and will probably try her again in the future. 


I should note also that I listened to the audiobook narrated by Tanya Eby and I did not like her voice at all and it barely changed with the different characters. I followed along in the e-book ARC as that usually enhances my reading experience but it didn’t work this time.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre - psychological thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment