NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Thursday, August 8, 2024

Fire and Bones (#23 Tempe Brennan) by Kathy Reichs

 I truly enjoy this series featuring the iconic Tempe Brennan and what’s really amazing is that this #23 is every bit as good, maybe even better, as the previous installments.  


First of all, I really love anything medical and Tempe, as a forensic anthropologist, always gets deep in with the bones and bodies. The details are what I can’t get enough of and because the author is herself an expert, she writes what she knows so well. Every description is so vivid that I can almost feel like I am right there and everything is explained so you don’t have to know anything about the subject to get the clear picture and gist of the situations. 


In this case, Tempe is called to Washington, DC, to help identify the unknown victims of a fire. Those poor, unfortunate souls were staying in the dilapidated building illegally and died inside. In addition, another body is discovered in the sub basement, this one predating the fire by decades.


In typical Tempe fashion, she becomes consumed by the case and the history of the Foggy Bottoms where the building was located. She ends up staying with a friend of her daughter’s while there and that relationship is beneficial to both with regard to the case. 


I love the character of Tempe Brennan. She’s self-deprecating and funny and so very clever. She’s definitely matured and grown since the first novels and I love how she appreciates all aspects of life as she gets older. I have to laugh as she is one of the few woman in novels who actually always has a healthy appetite! As always, can’t wait for the next and will always recommend this series. Be sure to start at the beginning.


I was lucky and obtained a copy of the audiobook that I could listen to while following along with my e-book ARC obtained from the publisher. I loved the production and the narrator’s voice is perfect for Tempe and she does a great job with the other characters as well.

This is part of a long running series that should be read in order from the beginning.

Genre - medical mystery, forensic anthropology, crime thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment