NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Tuesday, August 27, 2024

The Dark Wives (#11 Vera Stanhope) by Ann Cleeves

 Murder and mystery involving a care home for troubled teens.


This is the 11th book in the series but the first I have read. I've also not seen the television show, so all of this was new to me. Set in the coastal northeastern village of Longwater, DI Vera Stanhope and her team investigate the death of a staff member, Josh, who is found murdered right outside of Rosebank, a care home for teenagers. In addition, one of the residents at the home, Chloe Spence, has disappeared. Is she a victim or a suspect? 


Vera's team begins the tedious task of following up. Her subordinates include DS Joe Ashworth and DC Charlie as well as a new member, DC Rosie Bell. The story also refers to a previous member of the team, Holly, now apparently deceased and often mentioned but no details about what happened. I think this made coming into the series with this installment a bit confusing so probably best to read in order. I could tell that the team understands each other and knows strength and weakness of their colleagues but difficult to assess character development. Vera is strong, independent, opinionated, keeps things close to the chest, and happily single. 


One of my gripes about this police procedural is how completely the reader is left in the dark when Vera and the team have the pieces to solve the case, including the names of suspects, but those details are not given. 


The plot had merits but I found the process and all of the interviews quite slow moving. Lots of characters to keep straight. Not sure if I liked well enough to begin the series with the first installment but I might read another in the future. 


I was able to listen to the audiobook while following along in the e-book ARC, both provided by the publishers. The narrator did a great job voicing the characters and all the accents but without the text in front of me I think it would have been difficult to identify who was speaking at times. It definitely enhanced my enjoyment of the story as the production was well done.

This is the 11th book in a popular British crime mystery series. There is also a television series featuring the main character. I had not read or seen either before. I feel best that this series be read from the beginning in order. 

Genre - British police procedural, mystery

No comments:

Post a Comment