NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, August 18, 2024

The Hotel Maid by Michelle Dunne

 June Calloway has been cleaning rooms at the Cedarwood Manor for 6 years. As a maid, she’s practically invisible to the guests and other staff there. A bit of an odd duck, she says little but notices everything. She’s good at her job and enjoys it well enough, but her life outside of the luxurious hotel is quiet and lonely. Although she has a roommmate, she has little money and few possessions. She also has a tendency to self-harm. But June has big plans and even bigger secrets.


A bit of a slow burn, nothing really started happening until after the half-way mark and I was getting bored. The story’s main character, June, seemed a bit too much like another in a series I’ve also read. Also, the narrative flips back and forth in point of view and time jumps that made the flow uneven. I didn’t really enjoy the parts that featured Mia. The lies of Tess and the convoluted identity and names got muddled as well. From then, it became entirely forseeable . I didn’t care for June and how she handled her issues and past. Although I might initially have felt for her in the situations she found herself in, I soon believed that she was wrong in how things were handled. It was way too complicated for a plot that was so predictable in the end.  Enough said. 


I listened to the audiobook while following along in the e-book as both were provided as ARCs by the publisher. I enjoyed the narrator of the audiobook who did an excellent job of voicing the characters and I loved her accent. That definitely enhanced my enjoyment of the book. 

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.

Genre. - revenge thriller, self harm, mental health issues, child abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment