NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Monday, November 25, 2019

He Knows Your Secrets (DS Maddie Ives Book 4) by Charlie Gallagher

3.5 stars rounded up for this 4th book in the Detective Maddie Ives series. A graphic crime thriller that has the police trying to stop an evil and powerful man who manipulates, exploits, controls and kills women.

A young woman, Holly Maguire, commits suicide by having a taxi drive off a steep cliff. She holds a rucksack that contains clues that she hopes will cause the police to investigate her death and bring down a monster. Holly's girlfriend, Kelly Dale, is snared in the clutches of a ruthless man who produces sex camera videos and uses violence to keep the women involved and in line. Anyone who threatens Freddie Rickman ends up dead, or locked into a life that he completely controls. Richman is seemingly untouchable and, because of his methods, no one connected to him will talk to the police. How will Maddie Ives and her boss, DI Harry Blaker, bring this crime lord down? NO SPOILERS.

This was quite a gruesome and suspenseful book with horrible people who made me cringe and innocent victims who tugged at my heartstrings. The narrative was full of action and quite tense as the police went about trying to sift through the clues to figure out the scope of the investigation and close the case. I liked the writing style and I would probably have felt closer to the characters had I read the previous books in this series -- I've only read the first one and not #2 or #3 so I likely missed some development and those important personal details that make a character real and understandable. I will definitely look for the next installment to find out more!

Thank you to NetGalley and Joffe Books for this e-book ARC to read, review and recommend.

This is the 4th book in the series. I wish I'd read all of them from the beginning in order but I missed #2 and #3.
Genre - crime thriller, police procedural

No comments:

Post a Comment