NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, November 10, 2019

Woman in the Water by Katerina Diamond (#6 in the Miles and Grey series)

Warning -- this is not a crime thriller for the sensitive and delicate as it deals with some extremely graphic material that I can't elucidate as to avoid big spoilers. This book was, at times, difficult to read.

"People warn you about strangers, but no one warns you about the people you love, the people who say they love you."

DS Adrian Miles is driving along Glasshouse Lane when he notices a crowd by the wall of the riverside. He pulls over only to discover a woman in the water -- she's alive. The beaten and bruised woman is taken to the hospital where she refuses to give her name and says that she doesn't remember what happened to her. Soon after, the body of a young male is pulled from the same river and the woman vanishes from her hospital bed. Miles and his partner and lover, DS Imogen Grey, are very concerned over the fate of the abused woman and the police investigation into the murdered man (once he's identified) takes them into a situation that will change their lives forever. Their first shock is when they arrive at the home of a man they want to question about the dead male and find that the woman Adrian rescued is no other than Reece Corrigan's wife. Adrian feels drawn to Angela Corrigan because of his own experience with domestic abuse growing up and his reactions and behavior indicate he's close to going off the rails with this case. Things escalate quickly as the detectives discover that people who cross Reece Corrigan end up broken or dead. Can they get the evidence they need if no one will speak up or testify against him?

Wow, this was quite the intense read and I was almost gasping aloud as I sat glued to this book reading it cover to cover in a single sitting. I had no idea going into this one that it was part of a series as it's not listed as such so I had no previous exposure to either Adrian or Imogen. I didn't know their history or how their romantic relationship developed so it was somewhat difficult to relate to them as a couple given all their worries and problems being work mates as well as lovers. They were actually kind of irritating as they danced around their issues and insecurities, but I just sort of let that go since there were other overwhelming events that occurred to take the focus off romance. I must say that I have never read a story that contained this particular...I wish I could actually talk about it here, but I won't. I don't think I'll ever quite look at some things in the same way again having really not considered them before. The bad guy is really evil and the climax and conclusion were spectacular even as the end left room for a follow-up that I definitely want to read. There's a lot of repair and healing that needs to happen and I hope for the best! If you like a gritty thriller that makes you squirm, this is for you.

Thank you to NetGalley and Avon for this e-book ARC to read, review and recommend. I definitely wish I'd started the series from the beginning rather to come in at book #6.

This is the sixth book in the Miles and Grey series and I wish I would have read them from the beginning in order. Unfortunately, this was my first book by this author which may have affected my overall reaction and review.
Genre - crime thriller with triggering themes

No comments:

Post a Comment