NetGalley Top Reviewer

NetGalley Top Reviewer
NetGalley Top Reviewer

Sunday, November 24, 2019

Recursion by Blake Crouch

"Time is but memory in the making." Vladimir Nabokov

This thriller was full of action, twists and drama -- it totally reminded me of why I love science fiction novels. I was glued to the pages and I dare you to put it down once you start!

The themes of this book are so uniquely handled -- the nature of identity, the inconstancy of memory, and the perception of time. The author pulls all of these together to create a story that will linger on long in my mind and one that I can't wait to share with others.

The main characters, especially NYC Detective Barry Sutton and scientist Dr. Helena Smith, are people that become real in the pages as they tackle the huge issue that was Helena's brainchild - a chair that allows what seemingly is time travel through memory. As with any new technology, a major invention has huge impacts on society and always comes with a question of whether it will be used for good, or for bad. The potential for change has consequences and the evil forces in the world can't help but crave the power. NO SPOILERS.

I loved the pacing, the plot and the writing style. The questions created by the book's premise beg reflection and discussion and even if I can't say that I understand the science, it was engaging and relatable. I rooted for the good guys, hoped the bad guys would get their comeuppance and was a bit scared as the narrative rushed to the conclusion of a remarkable adventure that I didn't want to end.
If you enjoy a novel that makes you think, be sure to read this one that "pierces the veil of perception."

I understand that there is to be an upcoming Netflix film adaptation of this book and I can't wait to see it. Thank you to NetGalley and Crown Publishhing for this e-book ARC to read, review and recommend.

This is a standalone and is not part of any series.
Genre -- science fiction, action, thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment